Thursday, October 25, 2012

See You Next Season


  I love stats ~ those that know me, know that about me. And yes of course it drives them crazy. Sorry !
 Anyway, where was I ? ahh yes stats, aka numbers, that's where my passion, ok my addiction really lies. Sorry !  LOVE MY NUMBERS 

2012 ~ my personal golf season.
I suck !  let's get that upfront right away.
 So these stats are not how many under par, scoring averages, birdie stretches, or even eagles. Nope,  I'd be embarrassed to share those types of stats with a game I absolutely love and hate at the same time.
These are stats for a father of 3 (4), a dog owner, a realtor, and the best part, well the best part no doubt is being fiftysomething and this is my life, starring ME !

great training aid
Sunday March 25th 2012 ~ I took my dozen orange golf whiffle balls out of the garage and took 48 swings, 12 each way (4x) across my backyard. I had not had a golf club in my hand in over 5 months. We were scheduled to leave for Palm Springs April 5th and I don't like going to paradise with a NW tan and no golf swing. ( Not sure if I have ever had a golf swing. Do not ever let that stop you.)

The next day, Monday March 26th ~ I visit Tumwater Valley to take advantage of their chipping and short game facility and I swear to you, it was like a bug bite and I got bit.
Palm Springs was fine, it pretty much always is. Remember these aren't low round or setting course records stats I'm about to report. I am down in Palm Springs being a Dad with my family during spring break. Good times and as much golf as a Dad can get away with.
I did play 5 rounds and  somehow knew that this year was going to be different as far as fitting golf in to my schedule was concerned.

On our return from Palm Springs, I am now going to chip balls at Tumwater Valley everyday. Being a numbers guy I pledge no less than 200 chips of varying lies and situations to my routine if I was going to make this commitment to practice. I then eased my way over to the driving range and committed to no less than 50 balls a day. I just can't hit many more than that in this fiftysomething body. So 4 days a week I am now hitting 50 balls a day and chipping 200 a day.
I look up my fellow golf addicts and land a friday morning 4some to continue working on what I had been practicing all week at the practice range. I was having more fun than I can ever remember having on the golf course ( I used to get mad, like I was good or something). Basically at this age I know I suck and that's OK. I will hit a handful of brilliant shots throughout my round and know that the next week I will continue to work out kinks and strive to improve on the range for my next outing.
The Friday's round of golf really helped but I needed more, another round to complete my golf week. So on Saturdays I would do an open house, race home to get my son to work and then continue south to Chehalis to one of maybe the nicest golf courses I have ever had the privilege to play. I would get there late on saturday afternoons for twilight and spent all summer down there.14 consecutive Saturdays watching the sun go down at 9 or 10 in the evening, walking up the 18th fairway. There was solitude, it was serene, filled with nature and precious time to reflect on my life thus far, and for the first time ever, I WAS WALKING !
In 30 years of playing golf I could count on one hand the times I had walked 18 holes.
Golf carts always had their place and was just what you did where I learned to play in Palm Springs.
And what is golf without a cooler of one's favorite beverage.
So I am now walking 36 holes a week. 18 holes every friday morning at Tumwater Valley and every saturday, twilight in Chehalis. The makers of Ibuprofen love me and at this age, to be that sore and really out of shape tired, is kind of a buzz. Golfed out does not suck.
On July 25th we left for the beach on our summer vacation and I have only played a few times since. Truth be told, a few home sales were very much needed by August. 

So my 2012 golf season stats.

Practice range ~ 50 a balls a day
    hole #6 par 3~ Riverside
  • 800 balls
Chipping green ~ 200 chips a day
  • approx 3,200 chips  that's very conservative
Total Rounds of Golf
  • 32 rounds closer to 40 including this fall
Number of holes played
  • 576 holes of golf (walking)
Number of miles walked
  • 96 miles (approx. probably more)
One last fun stat for an old guy. I stayed in shorts for 142 consecutive days this summer. No long pants In the NW and in my 50's. Over 1/3 of 2012. I'm probably most proud of that stat alone.

I love you I hate you
So now it's late fall, I'm sitting at a red light at Black Lake Blvd and Cooper Point Rd. with the rain coming down, the wipers on full speed, daydreaming about golf and waiting for the light to change.

It's a great life !



Matthew Perryman Jones ~ waiting for the light to change


Have you seen us at http://www.thurstonliving.com/















No comments:

Post a Comment