Tuesday, May 14, 2013

a Real Estate Agent Tale


The Dual Agent

Sellers and Buyers are expecting to be represented by an agent who is looking out for their best interest with the purchase or sale of real estate. The seller has always had full representation from their agent and agency.

Years ago, all agents were sub agents to the seller and in the early to mid 90’s the “buyer beware” was becoming such an issue that by the end of the 90’s, the buyer now had their own agent working for them known as the buyer’s agent.

Early in my career in the early 90’s I was selling 3-5 of my own listings any given year where I was the only agent.  My sign or advertising would generate a call, a showing and very often a purchase.

When the buyer agent came along, most sales now almost always had 2 agents/agencies involved. As the buyer’s agent became main stream the dual agent was the new title for representing both parties.
The internet and advertising on the internet is bringing more dual agency back in to my business because I am now contacted more often directly from the buyer.

So this is what I really showed up to blog about.

Saturday morning I was minding my own business and ready to spend a full day in the yard catching up on weeding, mowing, weeding and if I had any energy left by the end of the day, I thought I would do some weeding.
 Weeds in my concrete stress bars.
Drive me nuts

I’m not sure if there are more weeds this year or if I play more golf. I’m pretty sure there are just more weeds in my yard. Although come to think of it, my handicap is dropping.

I missed a call and had a voice mail from an old client Saturday morning and she wanted me to give her a call. 

About 12 years ago I had been referred to this young couple. He was a builder, building 2 maybe 3 homes a year. They were an awesome couple with young babies and I was listing their homes and we established a very good relationship.

After a few years, their children began school and the wife who had been very hands on with each of their homes being built and the building process also realized she could do what I do. 

She eventually decided to get her real estate license so they could increase their profit margin on each sale. I told them of a good company that kept small builders with a real estate license or husband and wife teams. They took my advice and she still works there.

So my client had become my competition, although I don’t look at it that way at all. There is more business in any community to help buyers and sellers if you are willing to go out and engage. 

In my career I have had 4 clients turned agents.

We did fall out of touch through the years. Occasionally I would see her advertising or we would run into each other at the store.

So I returned her phone call late Saturday morning. She had just shown a listing of hers to some very interested buyers. At her seller’s request she had been advised to not participate in a dual agency relationship. This young couple did not have an agent, so she had given them my name and contact information.

We had a nice chat about our kids and how they were growing too fast and they were now young adults ready to venture out on their own. We also talked about the real estate business.

So I had to ask ~ “of all the agents in your office and in town to refer these buyers, why me”?
Her answer warmed my heart and once again I was reminded

It’s a Great Life!




going greener
lay cardboard right over the weeds(soak cardboard)
before you lay your beauty bark


No comments:

Post a Comment