Friday, September 16, 2011

Shhhh ! ~ Daddy's on the phone

Shhhhhh ! – Daddy’s on the phone                                                                                                  
I put the family in the car for a mid winter break back in 2000. I got on the phone in Olympia and we were heading into British Columbia to catch a ferry over to Victoria on Vancouver Island. I was on the cell phone from Olympia all the way to the ferry parking lot. Over 3 hours on the phone, going through customs and telling my client to HOLD, while I entered another country.
My family not only deserves better than that. It was very rude and so self important of me to speak to a client for hours, only to lose and miss the pure enjoyment of my kids hitting the road with Dad.
At that time I had a coach, Teresa. I told Teresa about my lengthy phone call and she was not impressed at all. I was scolded and told to never speak on the phone again when my kids were present. This was simply a priority thing that I just did not get. Obviously!
I have had made a career on the telephone, but to this day I do not speak on a cell phone when I am with my kids. It has deepened our relationships. The real benefit is, I have no distractions when I am with them and get to be fully present and engage in their lives.
Thank you Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment