Sunday, February 3, 2013

One Year Later

As I type this, I spent the week thinking about the first weekend of February 2012. One year ago.
 To us parents, 2012 like every other year, just seemed to haul ass. To the teens, well, probably not as fast.
The magic of parenting seems to pay it's biggest dividends as these precious children grow up and like the baby bird in a nest, take that first leap out of the nest and spread their wings. The success rate to any baby bird has got to be close to 100%. They have to succeed. I am going to go out on a limb (no pun) and figure the success rate for teens is also 100%, or remarkably high at the very least. How else would we become adults ?

  • Friday 2.3.12
Our 18 year old son reports to his 1st day of his first job ever.
 He's a gamer and I have to say he is excellent at his craft. So good, I thought we might not ever peel him away from the x~box.  I could not have been more wrong. 
He is the best of the rest of his family members with finances. He has bought his 1st car, has some money in savings and they have now promoted him.  To just look at this young man when he comes home from a shift brings more joy and pride than I have ever experienced. I have so much more to learn from this young man.
~ I like his chances !

  • Friday 2.3.12 (the same day)
We hug and shed tears as our 20 year old daughter jumps in her VW Golf and drives away with her boyfriend to move to Los Angeles. Not visit .................... MOVE !
Her decision to move to Los Angeles has been the best decision/move she could have made. I could blog her every day experiences down there, but that would be quite extreme. 
Instead, I get to be there for her every text, hear about every shady character she encounters and just every day decisions that only Dad advice will help, in this adult world she is so boldly pursuing. I even get an occasional yeah Dad ..........you're right !
She really should and could write a book about her first year in Los Angeles.
~ I'd buy it !

  • Saturday 2.4.12
Our 20 year old daughter turns 21 years old on the road to Los Angeles and arrives in LA later that evening. Her first birthday that we're not all celebrating together as a family.  [: (

  • Sunday 2.5.12
Day 3 for my son and he seems to really like his new job. As we're driving home that night after he got off work, instead of texting his peeps as they usually do, he is sitting next to me engaged in a telephone conversation that sounds very serious. Dad ~ can we turn around, go back and pick up Cheyenne ? Without asking any questions I agree, turn around and we go pick up my son's friend Cheyenne. She became our adopted daughter, effective that night.

  • Monday 2.6.12
I have picked up the moving van and have it loaded with my daughters belongings and we make room for Cheyenne. It just so happens, we now have an extra bedroom.(see oldest daughter moves to LA above)

  • Tuesday 2.7.12
Bright and early about noon, I'm on the road driving a 12' Penske moving van to Los Angeles with my oldest daughters world in tow. I even threw in the 2 trumpets she had purposely failed to pack.


My daughters view from her loft ~ Thursday 2.9.12

  • Today 2.3.13
So as I proudly blog a snapshot of our life .Our youngest daughter is still at home. She has recently enrolled in driving school. Being the 3rd child, I hand her the keys to my car so she can drive to driving school and insist on her paying close attention at driving school so she can get her license, and to be home by 3:00 am. It is a school night after all. I'm kidding !
This young woman is of her own, influenced by no one. We will support her decisions and she will spread her wings at just the right time. We will be very close by and present to watch her soar.
Cheyenne is a senior and on track to do amazing things with her life. Her broken wing is mending, as we are teaching her to not believe in her thoughts. They're only thoughts, not her actions. Just mind stuff, which has nothing to do with the amazing opportunities that are waiting for her. She will trust her heart as she dreams big and takes flight.

It's a Great Life !


see you over at http://www.thurstonliving.com/






Happy Birthday Sweetie
~
Daddy Loves You



No comments:

Post a Comment