Tuesday, November 20, 2012

reporting from the Dad trenches


  • Gutters cleaned
  • Garage doo dah'd
  • Cute little holiday lights hung
red,red,white,green ~ repeat.


I spent both Saturday and Sunday at home getting (trying) my house in order for the winter holidays.
I have been sneaking down to play golf the last few weekends which I didn't anticipate doing this late into fall. By Labor day I was thinking golf season was over. But I started playing really good and the weather was cooperating, so why not.
I watched the weather forecast nearing the weekend, because I would have found a way to play. But this is Olympia in November and there was no way playing a round of golf was an option. The rain has been coming down sideways since friday evening and I don't think we've even seen daylight since October.
So saturday morning I threw on my wet gear and got busy.

  • Gutters;
If you have them ~ clean them !
I've had waterfalls spilling over my gutters in 2 choice locations. Directly over our front door/entryway and right out my back slider.
nice hat
You're going to get wet, dirty and buns of steel with the ladder climbing. But when you start unclogging the downspouts and the flow kicks in, it becomes very rewarding to see all that water begin to flow. Next thing I know I'm on the roof with my favorite spray nozzle hose and my gutter system is now ready for action.

  • Garage;
It's like a man cave to me. A man cave in the wrong location, but a man cave none the less.
Every project starts in the garage and my garage is a filthy family "catch all' between cleanings, so I figure I'm good for a few garage cleanings a year. At the very least once in the summer (camping gear) and once in the winter (holiday gear)
So to clean some gutters and get down the christmas gear, the garage is going to be whipped into shape also. I should be good now until I need the camping gear in June.

  • Holiday Lights;
Not sure why, but I frickin' love hanging holiday lights. There is something extremely anal/OCD about it that pushes all my buttons.
I have a 16 year old daughter and sad but true, about the only bonding time I receive with her since she turned teen is our annual light hanging time together. I know she really loves doing this project together.
Anyway, as we were taking the lights down last season we decided to create a new pattern in the lights for this season because it is getting harder to replace orange and blue bulbs. And I am not ready to start ordering shit like orange holiday bulbs on EBay.


So, a very productive, very wet weekend indeed.
Our oldest daughter flies in wednesday night, friday we chop down a tree, and friday night I will flick a switch (drum roll please) and the Lynch holiday season will be under way.

It's a Great Life !










Have you seen us at http://www.thurstonliving.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment